Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Culinary Skills

At my work for our Christmas party, we are doing a cookie or candy exchange. I decided that I should make fudge and carmels. Our oven is broken so cookies were not an option which I know for a fact I can excute those well. I call up my good ol friend Teri Jill and she gives me a simple carmel recipe and I found a simple fudge recipe off the internet. I was so excited to come home and get the party started in the kitchen. I started off by cooking the carmels. Recipe says to cook till hard ball stage. Hmm??? What the heck does that mean? I called Teri and she informed me and and also taught me the ice water trick. I got this!! I deciced in the essence of time, I would melt the butter in the microwave and pour it right in to the mixture. BIG MISTAKE!! I got oily, nasty, hard as a rock carmel. So needless to say, that didn't work. Carmel no longer edible or useable. As I was cooking the carmel, I decided to start on the peanut butter marshmellow fudge. Sounded easy enough. I had to double the recipes to ensure I would have enough for all my co workers, however, I didn't gage the butter. "Keith, would you mind running to the store?" Like a good husband, he did. Upon his arrival, I noticed that the fudge looked funny. I realized that I doubled everything but the marshmellows and the peanutbutter chips which I was now out of. "Keith, would you mind going to the store again?" And he was off again. At this point, I still didn't know that the melted butter trick was a bad idea so I used this method in the fudge. So now I have bad carmels and bad fudge. Third time is a charm. Chocolate fudge next. I had learned from my mistakes so I was sure I would get it right this time. WRONG!! I followed that recipe to a T and it still turned out bad. Guess I am headed to Costco to get some cookies. Glad Keith didn't want to marry a domesticated woman!!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

There will be other years to perfect it! Enjoy your party!

The Leithead Family said...

haha...funny story! :) Don't give up on being a domestic goddess yet!! I love your snow pictures - very cute!!

Teri said...

I think everyone struggles with candy their first time. It really helps to watch someone who knows what they are doing the first time. Even long-time candy makers get a bad batch now and then...Better luck next time eh?

Chelsea Tippetts said...

Don't feel bad, i baked some ready made tollhouse cookies for my x-mas party... lazy and a bad cook!